From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hw problems
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:03:06
1 On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 7:47 PM <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Since last week my gentoo installation start to randomly freeze. The
6 > first I've detected was during huge disk usage, another was during
7 > hibernation, etc. I think it might be related to HDD problems, but I
8 > want to be sure. In kernel log there are some errors, but I'm not able
9 > to decide if those causes the freezing or not (I've saw such messages
10 > earlier too, so I'm not sure). So, is there a good diagnostic tool to
11 > check HW and mainly HDD? What I need to decide is if buying new HDD will
12 > fix the issue or not
15 Install smartmontools then
16
17 # smartctl -a /dev/sda