From: Alexey Eschenko <skobkin-ru@××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Policykit problems (blueman, nm-applet, USB mount, etc) after some update
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 11:14:39
1 Hi.
2
3 Some time ago (probably between two weeks and month) after another
4 system update I started encountering problems with some userland
5 services like blueman and nm-applet.
6
7 I have encountered blueman problem every time when I logged in to my
8 XFCE session. Right after XFCE init I did see this:
9 https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/issues/913
10
11 Probably at the same time I became unable to enable my VPN connections
12 using nm-applet. After choosing my connection from dropdown menu I've
13 seen the error in notification bubble:
14 > The VPN connection "..." failed to start.
15 > Not authorized to control networking
16
17 Third but not as likely related (not sure if it started to happen at the
18 same time) is XFCE shutdown/reboot problems. For some time I'm unable to
19 directly shutdown or reboot my PC from XFCE "Action Buttons" panel
20 plugin. If I choose "Restart" or "Shut Down" then XFCE just logs out
21 from my session and I will see SDDM. If I choose shutdown/reboot in SDDM
22 then all will be ok but direct shutdown from XFCE only logs me out.
23
24 And fourth problem is that for some time I became unable to mount USB
25 flash drives from the file manager. In Thunar when I'm clicking on USB
26 drive nothing happens (even nothing in the thunar console output if I
27 run it from there). There is also nothing strange in journalctl when I'm
28 plugging my USB flash drive.
29 If I try to mount my USB drive using "sudo mount /dev/sdX1
30 /media/usb_flash" then all works perfectly. udisksctl which I've never
31 used in the past (but was told to try after mentioning this problem)
32 mounts USB drive correctly but only after asking root password.
33
34 After reading the issue in the blueman repository I tried "fix" which
35 was mentioned here:
36 https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/issues/912#issuecomment-427648539
37 https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman/wiki/PolicyKit
38
39 It did help with blueman error on XFCE start.
40 I'm not familiar with policykit at all but it looks like there was some
41 systematic changes in permission policies and I think that there must be
42 more correct and more generic solution than manually creating policykit
43 policies for every service which I notice problems with.
46 Kind regards,
47 Alexey Eschenko
48 https://skobk.in/