From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 05:27:26
1 > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 >> On 2013-08-20 2:54 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Unless you want to learn the ins and outs of using an initramfs (and
6 >>> having a lot of fun and failed boots in the process), I highly
7 >>> recommend using Dracut. It does everything for you.
10 >> What about a previous posters comment that they don;t update the kernel as
11 >> often as userland stuff, and there is userland stuff in the initramfs, so
12 >> things can still get out of sync - and, apparently (I'm inferring from the
13 >> comments about nightmare scenarios of unbootable systems because the
14 >> initramfs got 'out of sync')...
15 >>
16 >> So, how do/can you *guarantee* that nothing ever gets out of sync?
19 > I'm confused here. initramfs, is, for all intents and purposes, an
20 > isolated filesystem. It shouldn't be calling stuff in your real root
21 > except to mount the real
22 > root. Heck it should be able to mount pivot root on filesystems that
23 > have absolutely
24 > nothing to do with its construction, as for example, LTSP does.
25
26 Correct, and here lies the cause for the "out of sync" scenario.
27
28 > So the only "out of sync" scenario that should matter is with the
29 > kernel or kernel modules. Even if it were out of sync with your
30 > current toolset it should still be able
31 > to perform the pivot. Shouldn't any "userland stuff" that
32 > breaks initramfs BE in initramfs?
33
34 Incorrect, there are userland tools, like LVM and MDADM (layout 1.2 does
35 NOT support auto-assembly by kernel), that are needed to access of the
36 filesystems.
37
38 It is possible that an older version of one of these tools, after an
39 update, can no longer access the disks succesfully. When portage updates
40 this package, the initramfs is not automatically updated with the new
41 version.
42
43 I agree that it doesn't happen often. But on this list there has already
44 been a report of a recent occurence where LVM was updated, but the
45 initramfs was not, where the boot-sequence ended up being broken.
48 Joost