From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Source for checksums of installed files
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 23:54:55
1 On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 03:59:33PM +0100, Jan Sever wrote:
2 > On 02/14/2015 03:52 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Jan Sever <n32@×××××.cz> wrote:
4 > >> Hi all,
5 > >>
6 > >> I was looking for information about the source for checksums of installed
7 > >> files but I didn't find. I'd like to know whether Portage makes checksums
8 > >> (for equery check) from installed files in /, or in /var/tmp/portage. And
9 > >> similarly whether it makes binary packages (when asked) from /, or again
10 > >> from /var/tmp/portage. It'd make sense, it'd make it from /var/tmp/
11 > portage
12 > >> but I'm not sure of that.
13 > >>
14 > >> I have suspicion that my SSD doesn't work quite well, so I mount /var/tmp
15 > >> from memory and I'd like to know whether the final checksums and binary
16 > >> packages cannot be corrupted from SSD.
17
18 I always use tmpfs for /var/tmp/portage, for the very most packages (with
19 the obvious exceptions), 2 Gigs of space are enough if you don't build with
20 debugging enabled.
21
22 > > Your question is somewhat awkwardly worded, but I think you are
23 > > looking for /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS.
24 >
25 > No, I am not. I know this location but I'd like to know where it's
26 > computed from. Live system or PORTAGE_TMPDIR?
27
28 You could tell portage to also build binary packages and put PKGDIR onto
29 another device¹. Once a package is installed, you can unpack the binary
30 archive¹ and verify the checksums on the extracted files, or simply use
31 something like dirdiff to compare / and the extracted tree.
32
33 ¹ or maybe also a ramdisk, if you got the Megs
34 --
35 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
36 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
37
38 The problem with HTML/CSS jokes: everyone understands them differently.