From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:54:12
1 On Friday 20 August 2010 09:03:46 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > Defined usage:
4 > () parentheses
5 > [] brackets
6 > {} braces
7
8 "Defined"? Defined where?
9
10 In English*, a parenthesis is a separate expression** marked off from the
11 rest of the sentence with brackets. Round ones, that is. A parenthesis
12 is not a punctuation mark, unless you want to be loose and informal
13 about it.
14
15 * This is what I learned at school, it accords with all my experience so
16 far except in American fora, and I see no need to change my
17 understanding.
18
19 ** Thus becoming a "parenthetical expression".
20
21 I'll get off my soapbox now... :-)
24 Rgds
25 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.