From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS: Need help setting up my parallel port printer [SOLVED, but new problem now]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 20:27:01
1 On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:17 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 12:25 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
3 > > We got a new printer today. It's the same model as our old printer, so it
4 > > should work, right? I followed the Gentoo Printing Guide up to the point
5 > > where one sets up the printer in the CUPS administrative interface. It
6 > > does not offer me a parallel port choice for the device. My kernel is
7 > > built with parallel port support and I have modprobed parport and
8 > > parport_pc:
9 > >
10 > > catherine ~ # lsmod | grep parport
11 > > parport_pc 32868 0
12 > > parport 26696 1 parport_pc
13 > >
14 > > And dmseg is aware of the printer:
15 > >
16 > > catherine ~ # dmesg | grep -i print
17 > > parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus C88
18 > >
19 > > But on the CUPS interface, I can choose from
20 > >
21 > > AppSocket/HPJetDirect
22 > > Backend Error Handler
23 > > HP Printer (HPLIP)
24 > > Internet Printing Protocol (http)
25 > > Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
26 > > LPD/LPR Host or Printer
27 > > SCSI Printer
28 > > Serial Port #1
29 > >
30 > > but no parallel port. It used to be on there. How can I get it back, or
31 > > is parallel port called something else now?
35 > I didn't have parallel printer character support compiled into the
36 > kernel. It works now, but how do I print from a remote computer? I've
37 > set up the security on the host that has the printer hooked up to it,
38 > but how do I configure remote hosts running Linux so that they know
39 > about it?
42 Maybe I should mention that I'm using gnome:
43
44 camille ~ # emerge -pv gnome
45
46 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
47
48 Calculating dependencies... done!
49 [ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-2.20.3 USE="cdr cups dvdr
50 -accessibility -esd -ldap -mono" 0 kB
51
52 I did find the Main Menu->System->Preferences->Printers and it detects
53 my printer, but it asks me to put in make and model information even
54 when I select the printer (which is already set up.) and I don't see
55 the model of my printer listed. It's an Epson Stylus C88. Is that
56 called something else in the printers interface?
59 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list