From: Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:05:10
1 On 18 August 2010 21:49, Joerg Schilling <
2 Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 08/18/2010 11:03 AM, Nganon wrote:
7 > > > Clear now, thanks.
8 > > >
9 > > >
10 > > > If you want a robust filesystem, look into ZFS/BTRFS.
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > > > AFAIK ZFS is unmaintained and BTRFS is not stable, am I wrong?
14 >
15 > Why do you believe ZFS is unmaintained?
18 I was unsure, thats why I asked if I was wrong. My bad.
19
20 > Not really. ZFS is only available on Solaris right now. I seem to
21 > > remember it was running on one of the BSD's, too, since it's a matter of
22 > > licensing that is the hurdle of greatest height. I've only played with
23 > > BTRFS on my dev box and the simple workout I gave it did not tax it in
24 > > any way--it worked okay.
25 >
26 > ZFS has a very free license. This was the reason, why it could be ported to
27 > the
28 > BSDs. So why do you believe there is a "license hurdle"?
31 Because ZFS is licensed with Sun CDDL, which is incompatible with GNU GPL,
32 so it cant be distributed with Linux kernel. That's why it is ported to
33 FUSE.
34
35 Also note: btrfs now is three years old. ZFS was started aprox. 10 years
36 > ago.
37 > For this reason, btrfs is expected to need another 7 years to readh the
38 > level
39 > of stability currently seen with ZFS.
42 ZFS was announced on 2004. So approximately six year, not ten. Besides,
43 things in
44 computer world do not always work that linearly, you know.