From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cookie_monster
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:50:31
1 On Wednesday 29 Oct 2014 23:44:07 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 04:45:56PM +0000, James wrote
3 >
4 > > So looking at ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/<dir>/
5 > > I see these cookies files:
6 > >
7 > > cookies.sqlite cookies.sqlite-shm cookies.sqlite-wal
8 > >
9 > > But the are sqlite files. So I need a gui tool to view them as to
10 > > discern logical understanding of what exactly they are and which do
11 > > delete or intelligently pre_filter. [1,2]
12 > >
13 > > Any suggestions in portage or as a seamonkey "add-on" would
14 > > be keen. I run "no-scipts" but I think I need more to keep
15 > > the cookie_monster under control? suggesions? I also use
16 > > firefox, just not as much.
17 >
18 > Sqlite is a database format. You might already have sqlite (the
19 > executable) installed, depending on the value of the "system-sqlite" USE
20 > flag. If so, you can pound away at it manually. Or you can always...
21 >
22 > emerge sqlite
23 >
24 > If you want a GUI rather than command-line, try
25 > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/
26 >
27 > You also mentioned "flash cookies" in passing. They're a totally
28 > different animal. They're files that reside in directories ~/.adobe and
29 > ~/.macromedia. The way to kill them is to remove the directories and
30 > create dummy files with the same names, so that Flash can't create the
31 > directories. Here's a short script...
32 >
33 > #!/bin/bash
34 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
35 > touch ~/.adobe
36 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
37 > touch ~/.macromedia
38 >
39 > The only problem is that certain sites won't play videos without those
40 > directories being present (e.g. video highlights at http://nhl.com ). I
41 > handle them with the following script...
42 >
43 > #!/bin/bash
44 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
45 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
46 > sleep 20
47 > rm -rf ~/.adobe
48 > touch ~/.adobe
49 > rm -rf ~/.macromedia
50 > touch ~/.macromedia
51 >
52 > I launch the script from a terminal, and then immediately click on the
53 > video link in my browser. This gets the videos going, and keeps them
54 > going until they finish.
55
56 I think that the ~/.adobe directory does not contain website content traceable
57 information, but flash version related info. Could be wrong though.
60 Regards,
61 Mick