From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] star
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:29:15
1 Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
2 > On Samstag, 22. September 2007, Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Hi!
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to hear some comments on app-arch/star.
6 >>
7 >> I've looked at its (IMHO really great) man page and didn't see anything
8 >> obviously concerning. Most frequently used tar options (-c -x -p -z -j)
9 >> seem to be in place.
10 >>
11 >> What I'd like to know: Is it fully backward compatible to tar? Could I
12 >> safely unmerge tar and make a symlink from tar to star?
13 >>
14 >> Thanks in advance!
15 >>
16 >> Florian Philipp
17 >
18 > http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/bench.html
19 >
20 >> Turns out that star can't do "star xzf -", it will say "Can only compress
21 > files." ROTFL! OK, so I used "|gzip -dc|star xf -" instead. What the hell.
22 >
23 > seems that it is not 100% comaptible.
24 >
25 > Since gnu tar, bsd tar and star each are different, I would not unmerge the
26 > gnu tar. Is there any reason not to use the gnu tar?
27
28 star supports p7zip which can be much better and especially more
29 flexible than bzip2, gzip and zip. Its other features (better
30 funcionality for acl, sparse files, recovery and backups among other
31 things) didn't sound bad, either.
32
33 If star were a fully qualified replacement for gnu tar, there would not
34 have been the need to keep it (and to produce possible inconsitency when
35 using both versions).
36
37 I used find and grep to search for any implementations of tar
38 compressing to stdout - I couldn't find any.
39
40 Although I don't trust my skills with regular expressions and the result
41 of my test that much I'll do the following:
42 I'll move /bin/tar to /bin/gnutar and make a symlink from /usr/bin/star
43 to /bin/tar.
44
45 Let's see if it works.
46 --