From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:30:50
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:51:49 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when
6 >it
7 >> > is off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure
8 >> > they were a long time ago.
9 >>
10 >> Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
11 >> external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
12 >
13 >You were lucky, it's like forgetting to look when you cross the road.
14 >Getting away with it once doesn't mean it is safe.
15 >
16 >Yes, I have blown a UART chip by hotplugging a serial cable, because
17 >I'd
18 >got away with it before.
21 >--
22 >Neil Bothwick
23 >
24 >I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam
25
26 Probably.
27 Don't have any serial devices anymore. Don't even bother plugging in serial port brackets either on mainboards that support it either.
28
29 All the devices I have with a serial port (switches/ups) can also be configured using a network interface :)
32 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.