From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:23:46
1 > quoth the Florian Philipp:
2 > > Maybe I should formulate another question: Where is the big difference
3 > > between a binary ebuild and a binary rpm / deb and why is it so hard to
4 > > convert them?
5 >
6 > Another thought:
7 >
8 > Unless I've missed it, you've not mentioned *what* it is you have an RPM
9 > for. Have you checked bugzilla, and all the various overlays yet to see if
10 > there *is* a user-contributed ebuild for it?
11 >
12 > darren kirby
13
14 My problem is that I don't have any - yet.
15
16 I'm going to work for a company that uses RedHat and I will have to use my
17 private laptop (Gentoo, of course).
18 Since they develop software themselves I fear that I will have to use some of
19 their customized or self-developed and not published software without access
20 to the source (I don't think they'll trust me so much in the beginning).
21
22 Well, it doesn't seem like there is an easy solution so I will play around
23 with rpms in a chroot-jail to get used to it. If everything goes wrong I can
24 still switch to an rpm-based distribution ...
25
26 Thank you guys! You have given me alot of inspiration and hints.
27
28 Florian Philipp