From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:26:23
1 Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 18:57:25 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > Hi, Canek.
3 >
4 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 02:22:44PM -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6 > > >> > However, I use lprng, not cups. It's good that we have a
7 > > >> > choice over what software we use, isn't it? ;-(
8 > > >>
9 > > >> It could be that IPP is just becoming the preferred protocol, and
10 > > >> other print queue managing protocols are going the way of Gopher.
11 > > >
12 > > > Preferred by whom? Firefox, for example, manages lprng just fine.
13 > > > It's really not a big deal supporting an extra spooler interface,
14 > > > particularly a simple one.
15 > >
16 > > Because, as "simple" as it could be, it's another one. Big projects
17 > > need to support CUPS, because they need to work for everyone (or as
18 > > many as possible). It makes no sense *at all* to support more printing
19 > > systems.
20 >
21 > It enables more people to use it.
22
23 Yes. that's you and...?
24 All binary distros use cups for printing. I would think, most gentoo users do
25 the same. The BSDs, I know of, use cups. MacOS uses it. It works for Windows-
26 Clients. There are IPP-Servers for Windows. What was your argument again?
27
28 > The support for lpr exists. It's being removed, for some reason. Given
29 > that printing works by constructing a postscript equivalent of the thing
30 > being printed, just how difficult can it be to squirt this postscript
31 > down lpr rather than the cups equivalent? How long does it take to write
32 > a C++ `if' statement?
33
34 I get it. You have no idea how software development at such a large scale
35 works.
36
37 > > And again, it's Open Source. If there is enough demand, someone will
38 > > write support for other printing systems. Just don't assume that any
39 > > project (being LibreOffice or Gentoo) need to support your choices
40 > > besides the most used one.
41 >
42 > Again the code already exists, it's merely a matter of not destroying it.
43
44 This code needs to be supported and maintained for literally no good reason.
45 If you think, that's no work at all, just volunteer for the task.
46
47 > I became a user based on it supporting a standard printing system, and
48 > it's perfectly reasonable for me to expect that support to continue.
49
50 No, it's not, unless you are willing to do the additional work.
51
52 Michael