From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with PORTAGE_ELOG_MAIL (Connection error)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:10:06
1 On 13:50 Sat 03 Nov , Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:22:18 -0500
3 > forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm not sure what the purpose of telneting my own system it, either.
6 > > Would I be looking for an open port?
7 >
8 > Telnet clients are useful debugging tools. You can connect to a
9 > service (in this case SMTP, on port 25) and then manually implement the
10 > service's protocol for troubleshooting purposes.
11 >
12 > For Example, in this case my message couldn't be sent because it
13 > (evidently) contained an invalid header, but the same commands would
14 > work if connected to a different server. I can see the error message;
15 > if I was maintaining this server, I could perhaps adjust my
16 > proxyd-filter.pl file, or suggest that my users adjust their mail
17 > headers.
18 > ====================================================================
19 > Example SMTP session, implemented through telnet.
20 > ------------------------------------------------------
21 > dan@atlas ~ $ telnet mx4.hushmail.com 25
22 > Trying 65.39.178.137...
23 > Connected to mx4.hushmail.com.
24 > Escape character is '^]'.
25 > 220 smtp6.hushmail.com ESMTP Postfix
26 > HELO spore.ath.cx
27 > 250 smtp6.hushmail.com
28 > MAIL FROM: dan@×××××××××.cx
29 > 250 2.1.0 Ok
30 > RCPT TO: phrexianreaper@××××××××.com
31 > 250 2.1.5 Ok
32 > DATAHello forgottenwizard,
33 > 502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized
34 > DATA
35 > 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
36 > Hello forgottenwizard,
37 > This email is meant as an example of the usefulness of a telnet client
38 > as a general purpose debugging tool, applicable to all sorts of
39 > plain-text communication protocols. In this case, I spoke SMTP with
40 > the mail server. You could use the same method to speak to an HTML
41 > server, or one of many other protocols as well.
42 > Sincerely,
43 > Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
44
45 Alright, I've finally gotten around to messing with telnet to try and
46 look at this problem, but I seem to have lost the other email on what I
47 need to do.
48
49 If you could resend that, and give me some additional info on how to
50 check through all the possible problems, I'd appreciate it.
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list