From: Juho Rosqvist <juho.rosqvist@×××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mutt and CC%CC$CC6 characters
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:01:21
1 Now, the subject _should_ read:
2 Mutt and ÅåÄäÖö characters
3
4 The problem is that when I begin composing a message in mutt and it asks
5 for address and subject, the scandinavian characters (among others) are
6 garbled as I type them in. This is puzzling, because mutt's pager displays
7 them just fine on received mail, vim works like a charm, and the terminal
8 has no problem with those characters either. Situation is the same under
9 pure console and X. I have found no help on the net; this does not seem
10 to be a common grief. Mutt's input line seems to be the only thing
11 affected.
12
13 I'm running an utf-8 environment, and the muttrc are in utf-8 according
14 to vim. Output of `locale` is:
15 LANG=
16 LC_CTYPE=fi_FI.utf8
17 LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
18 LC_TIME="POSIX"
19 LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
20 LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
21 LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
22 LC_PAPER=fi_FI.utf8
23 LC_NAME="POSIX"
24 LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
25 LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
26 LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
27 LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
28 LC_ALL=
29
30 Setting LC_ALL=fi_FI.utf8 won't remove the problem. I have even played
31 with $send_charset, which is set to "us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8", but
32 changing it to "iso-8859-1" or "utf-8" made no difference.
33
34 I'm really at a loss as to what causes this problem, or how to fix it.
35 Help would be appreciated.
36
37 Regards, Juho
38 --