From: Arttu V <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Whats better for crossplatform applications?
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 09:28:55
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 31 Mai 2009, Roy Wright wrote:
3 >
4 >> java - portability was one of the original design goals
7 > and it is still ugly. Also very funny and old bugs.
10 Given the OP's question (identical look and feel across platforms a very
11 high priority) he should really check out Java and Swing:
12
13 http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html
14
15 >> qt4 - some kde apps are starting to be portable
18 > kde always was portable. Also developed as a cross plattform lib. Lots of
19 > windows apps already use qt. Great documentation. Lots of language bindings,
20 > nicer licensing.
23 Yes, I'd say qt is the other one to check.
24
25 gtk+ might mean trouble, IIRC different gtk+ versions didn't use to live
26 so nicely on a Windows box. GIMP and some other program required
27 different versions of gtk+ on Windows when I last tried -- and the
28 Highlander paid a visit: "there can be only one ..." (Maybe they've
29 fixed that? Or was it about Windows not being too tolerant about
30 different versions of libraries?)
31
32 ... but anyway I'm mostly classificable as a server-side java dude, and
33 don't know the more obscure choices with GUIs that well. So, my opinions
34 are worth their weight in uranium (hazardous material, need proper
35 handling, not suitable for most uses, keep away from the reach of
36 children ;) ).
39 Arttu V.