From: Mauro Faccenda <faccenda@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [perhaps OT] ssh from Gentoo into a RedHat server
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:49:23
1 On Wednesday 30 May 2007 16:57, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 [...]
5 >
6 > I find it confusing. First of all I do not have a id_rsa.
7
8 it tries the default keys (id_rsa or id_dsa), if exists. if you don't want it
9 to try it, you can use the -i parameter to ssh pointing to your private key
10 (ssh -i ~/.ssh/id_dsa <user>@<server>),
11
12 > Second, my id_dsa is my private key not my public key. My public key is
13 > id_dsa.pub
14
15 but you will need your private key to be authenticated. that's why it is
16 *private*.
17
18 > Is this a server configuration issue, or something to do with my Gentoo set
19 > up?
20
21 ana in the server you'll need to put your *public* key into
22 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
23
24 > PS. Not sure if this is relevant but although my user name on the server is
25 > mick, for reasons better known to him the sysadmin has created my home
26 > directory as /home/mic - could it be that sshd is looking for /home/mick?
27
28 that messages isn't from the server, is from client running locally. but it
29 doesnt matter for what you want.
30
31 []'s
32 .m