From: Christoph Eckert <ce@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Portage browser
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:00:11
1 Hi,
4 > I'm working on a new portage browser, and I was looking for ideas
5 > from USERS, that's why I'm posting here.
6
7 as I'm a Desktop user, I'll speak up ;-) .
8
9 > I've never found a program that would allow me to browse
10 > portage categories, then packages, showing in one window description,
11 > version, etc, etc.
12 >
13 > Thus, I'm working on one now, but I want to develop something
14
15 Great to hear!
16
17 > that will run in console and X, too, like suse's yast.
18 >
19 > So, I would like to know:
20 >
21 > 1) do you prefer a console, a GUI, or both?
22
23 Both would be great.
24
25 > 2) what additional functionality would you like? (mask/unmask
26 > packages, install/remove, emerge command generator [much like
27 > nmapfe], etc)
28
29 There already are some projects which try to do frontends for
30 configuring a Gentoo system. If you write a portage frontend then yes,
31 I'd enjoy to have all settings right at my fingertips. Otherwise I'd
32 better stay with 4 shells open ;-) .
33
34 > If you have any idea regarding development (because of the
35 > both console and X-compatible script/program), please let me know. If
36 > not, I may end up writing an API, and two different programs.
37
38 I'm not sure what you plan exactly, but it sounds as it was reasonable
39 to keep the tool as desktop independent as possible.
40
41 What about using Qt4? You can use it for shell only programming as well
42 as for GUI programming (introduced in Qt4), it is independent from KDE
43 or Gnome, and it allows you to divide the data from the frontend.
44 Finally, it offers a concept similar to "model view controller" and a
45 thread save signal/slot concept.
46
47 Just my two cents,
50 ce