From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Options for "emerge"
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:21:59
1 Ermmmm ...
2
3 On Monday, 2022-02-21 11:13:16 +0100, I myself wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > But what
7 > about "--changed-deps"? Can nobody on this list explain what it really
8 > is or isn't good for, or when to use or not to use it?
9
10 Apart from a reply by Dale which more or less confirmed (at least the
11 way I read it) that the section regarding the "--changed-deps" option in
12 "man emerge" does not contain much valuable information, there was no
13 response whatsoever, not even from the "gentoo.org" folks on this list!
14
15 And none of the examples to overcome problems provided by others in this
16 thread ever contained "--changed-deps". Does this mean "--changed-deps"
17 is a NOOP, a relict from days long gone by, meanwhile without any funct-
18 ionality, just provided for compatibility in order to not break ancient
19 scripts?
20
21 If so, I think the manual page could frankly point that out.
22
23 If not so, where could I look-up the relevant information, short of the
24 source code?
25
26 Sincerely,
27 Rainer