From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng configs for separating warnings/errors and different types of traffic
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 20:18:22
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm very interested in what are best practices, and what others do as
4 far as separating out different types of messages in their logs.
5
6 I've always just sent everything to /var/log/messages, and this is not a
7 very heavily loaded box so it hasn't been a big problem, but I'm working
8 on a new server and would like to do some separation.
9
10 I'd still like everything to go to /var/log/messages, but I'd like to
11 also send certain types of messages to different logs to simplify
12 troubleshooting, etc - ie, I often peruse the logs with:
13
14 egrep '(reject|warning|error|fatal|panic):' /var/log/messages
15
16 But I'd like to actually feed all of those messages to a separate log,
17 for easier tailing.
18
19 I'm also open to some additional separation, and like I said, I'm
20 interested in what others do with theirs...
21
22 Specific config examples welcome!
23
24 Thanks