From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with "make oldconfig" 2.6.30-8 ==> 2.6.31
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:19:57
1 On Wednesday 10 March 2010 16:19:34 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2010-03-10 9:07 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > The current opinion of the current author of the kernel upgrade
4 > > guide says what you quoted.
5 > >
6 > > It's his opinion, it's what he thinks will work best for the
7 > > majority of people. It's probably also the wording that has been
8 > > proven to result in the least bugzilla entries and the fewest mails
9 > > in his inbox from the "Help me!" mob.
10 >
11 > It is either a part of the *official* gentoo documentation, or it isn't.
12 >
13 > My understanding is that it is. Is that incorrect?
14 >
15 > In other words, it is not $random_guide found on the internet somewhere,
16 > nor is it some gentoo dev's private wiki, it is formal, official gentoo
17 > documentation - and that *is* a fact.
18 >
19 > If what you say is true, then I guess every single page of every single
20 > bit of gentoo documentation should come with a big fat warning that
21 > 'this is just someone's personal opinion, so don't give it any weight
22 > whatsoever - hey, just do your own thang!'...
23
24 You are twisting my words to mean something I did not say or mean or intend.
25
26 Please stop doing that.
27
28 Overall the docs are fine. That particular statement under discussion is bad
29 advice as it implies something that is demonstrably not true.
30
31 Where did I say that all of the maintained official docs are low quality? I
32 believe I said no such thing, nor implied it.
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com