From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Moving the system from one disk to another
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 02:04:38
1 On 04/04/2010 01:04 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:35:11 +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
3 >
4 >> Whichever way you go about it, ensure that no pseudo-filesystem or bind
5 >> mounts are present within "/mnt/oldrootfs" at the time.
6 >
7 > Use the -x option with rsync to stop it descending into other filesystems.
8
9 This is directed to all of you gurus who replied to Meino's post:
10
11 Meino's unstated assumption is that his new (larger) disk is already formatted
12 (possibly partitioned?) before he copies the existing filesystem to it.
13
14 IIUC the new disk will then be unbootable until grub or equivalent is installed
15 on the new disk. Does this seem correct, or not?
16
17 My instinct is to use dd to duplicate the entire old disk to the new (unformatted)
18 disk and then use gparted to twiddle it from there. (But I do love a puzzle ;o)