From: Bryan Gardiner <bog@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk usage during emerge
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 06:10:08
1 On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 23:38:39 -0600
2 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Perhaps because of downloading of the distfiles? Or did you already
5 > exclude those from the totals?
6
7 It sounds like he downloaded distfiles before checking.
8
9 > I downloaded all distfiles and then looked at df /, it showed 1022
10 > blocks, hence about 1 GB of free disk space.
11
12 Do you mean 1022k blocks to give 1GiB? Since each block is normally
13 1KiB...
14
15 One hypothesis would be that if you are running KDE while doing the
16 upgrade, then the kernel can't immediately overwrite some of the 4.8.0
17 files with 4.8.1, because if you're still running the old 4.8.0
18 binaries, libraries, etc. in memory, they are kept around on disk
19 until the processes using them finish (though during that time, all
20 accesses to those filenames will reach the new versions). Once you
21 log out / reboot, this old space will be reclaimed. I'm not sure how
22 much this affects something like KDE that relies heavily on shared
23 libraries. Of course if the space stays used then it's some other
24 cause entirely.
25
26 Also, this is tangental to your problem, but don't forget about
27 "eclean-dist -d -f" if you want to clean up old distfiles :).