From: brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:10:56
1 Thank you very much. I'll need to go back and reread this and digest it some more. I hadn't thought of doing multiple RAID types on the drives. I have two and did RAID1 for /boot and was going to RAID1 the rest. However, I really want RAID0 for speed and capacity on some file systems. The swap comment is interesting, too. I have two small partitons for swap - one on each drive and I was going to parallel them per one of DRobbins articles.
6 > From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
7 > Date: 2006/02/20 Mon PM 01:30:59 EST
8 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question
10 >
11 > On Monday 20 February 2006 11:51, brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote about
12 > 'Re: Re: [gentoo-user] raid/partition question':
13 > > As an extension of this question since I'm working on setting up a
14 > > system now.
17 > 3. Neither. See below. First a discussion of the two options.
18 >
19 > 1. Is fine, but it forces you to choose a single raid level for all your
20 > data. I like raid 0 for filesystems that are used a lot, but can easily
21 > be reconstructed given time (/usr) and especially filesystems that don't
22 > need to be reconstructed (/var/tmp), raid 5 or 6 for large filesystems
23 > that I don't want to lose (/home, particularly), and raid 1 for critical,
24 > but small, filesystems (/boot, maybe).
25 >
26 > 2. Is a little silly, since LVM is designed so that you can treat multiple
27 > pvs as a single pool of data OR you can allocate from a certain pv --
28 > whatever suits the task at hand. So, it rarely makes sense to have
29 > multiple volume groups; you'd only do this when you want a fault-tolerant
30 > "air-gap" between two filesystems.
31 >
32 > Failure of a single pv in a vg will require some damage control, maybe a
33 > little, maybe a lot, but having production encounter any problems just
34 > because development had a disk go bad is unacceptable is many
35 > environments. So, you have a strong argument for separate vgs there.
36 >
37 > 3. My approach: While I don't use EVMS (the LVM tools are fine with me, at
38 > least for now) I have a software raid 0 and a hw raid 5 as separate pvs in
39 > a single vg. I create and expand lvs on the pv that suits the data. I
40 > also have a separate (not under lvm) hw raid 0 for swap and hw raid 6 for
41 > boot. I may migrate my swap to LVM in the near future; during my initial
42 > setup, I feared it was unsafe. Recent experience tells me that's (most
43 > likely) not the case.
44 >
45 > For the uninitiated, you can specify the pv to place lv data on like so:
48 > The second command only affect where new extents are allocated, it will not
49 > move old extents; use pvmove for that.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
53 > bss03@××××××××××.com