From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Eth0 interface not found - udev that little slut!!!!!
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:21:35
1 On Sunday 07 Apr 2013 21:25:48 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:14:36 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > Rebuild your kernel with the drivers for the NICs as modules. The
4 > > kernel *should* rename them to what they were before. I can't vouch
5 > > for this, but NICs which are not built in here were not renamed by udev.
6 >
7 > Where does this come from? Udev renames the interfaces when it
8 > initialises them, what difference does it make where it loads the driver
9 > code from? I am seeing consistent behaviour across machines with drivers
10 > built in and as modules.
11
12 I don't, and recall reading about this somewhere (was it this M/L? ) but can't
13 find it right now.
14
15 I have noticed that PCI installed NICs get renamed by udev, while extreneous
16 NICs, e.g. USB based devices retain their old naming convention.
17
18 In my case the non-MoBo cards and devices happened to have drivers installed
19 as modules - they were not renamed. Perhaps I drew an erroneous correlation.
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick