From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:17:45
1 On 2012-03-14 19:45, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > BIOS is going the way of the dodo too, but that's besides the point.
4 > I'm actually quite happy with the Linux bluetooth stack (which, if I'm
5 > not mistaken, is used by Android). I have several bluetooth thingies,
6 > they all work great.
7
8 Sorry, but you're gravely mistaken if you think firmware[1] is going
9 anywhere. You can have all the bluetooth thingies you want but why
10 should they be available at boot time, before you can use them?
11 Excepting a bluetooth keyboard, which to me seems broken by design;
12 you're replacing a keyboard with a cable that just works with something
13 that needs a system up and running to function...
14
15 [1] (U)EFI is only replacing the runtime interface of BIOS (BIOS will
16 remain). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS#Changing_role_of_the_BIOS
17 And if you want to ditch BIOS altogheter you need to replace it with
18 something like coreboot or Open Firmware.
19
20 Best regards
21
22 Peter K