From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 01:17:38
1 On Saturday 12 August 2006 20:22, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been playing with encrypting my home directory using cfs and
5 > following the instructions at
6 >
7 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Encrypt_Your_Home_Directory_Using_CFS
8 >
9 > I guess it mostly works, although I've had cfsd die randomly a few
10 > times in a couple days. It sorta bothers me that app-crypt/cfs is
11 > almost 2 years old and is still testing (~x86). This is one of those
12 > apps I'd prefer stable.
13 >
14 > So, before I get to settled on using this, a few questions.
15 >
16 > Do you encrypt your home directory?
19 Yes and others as well.
20
21 > What apps and/or combination of apps do you use, and why?
24 We use dmcrypt, which is used to encrypt loop devices as well as complete
25 partitions.
26
27 > Which ciphers do you prefer? Why?
30 aes-i586 keeps prying eyes out of sensitive data.
31
32 > Is it well supported?
35 Most of it is in the kernel... so it's pretty well supported "right out of the
36 box"...
37
38 > What apps and/or files don't play well with encrytion?
41 None that we run.
42
43 > I'm sure I'll have more questions after I've read some more.
46 Feel free to post here or email me directly.
47
48 Cheers, Jerry.
49
50 P.S. is your name foster or festus?