From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ati-drivers:legacy fail to build with kernel 3.12
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 07:11:30
1 On 02/10/2013 09:02, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 10/01/2013 08:16:23 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> Am 01.10.2013 10:00, schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
4 >> > Hi,
5 >> >
6 >> > in "good" tradition the new 3.12 Linux kernel breaks ati-drivers
7 >> > again (as always in the past).
8 >> > Does anybody know about a patch to make
9 >> > x11-drivers/ati-drivers:legacy
10 >> > compile with linux-3.12-rc3 ?
11 >> >
12 >> > Trying to emerge ati-drivers-13.1_pre897 (currently the only legacy
13 >> > driver)
14 >> > with 3.12-rc3 gives
15 >> >
16 >> > MODPOST 1 modules
17 >> > FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module fglrx.ko uses GPL-only symbol
18 >> > 'acpi_bus_get_device'
19 >> >
20 >> > Many thanks for a hint,
21 >> > Helmut
22 >> >
23 >>
24 >> so you are using a driver meant for stable (old) systems, with a pre
25 >> release kernel - and you don't even know what do do with that message?
26 >
27 > I'm quite sure there are a lot of things which you don't known either.
28 >
29 >> Does that do no seem a bit silly? hm?
30 >
31 > Thanks for this compliment!
32 >
33 >> acpi_bus_get_device is gpl only. You can undo that. If you want.
34 >>
35 >> But seriously, what is wrong with using stable releases like 3.10.x? If
36 >> you use ati-drivers, you don't need the amd driver improvements in 3.11
37 >> or 3.12.
38 >
39 > There are two points here:
40 > - first I consider it as my contribution to GenToo to help testing.
41 > The problem with the 3.12 prerelease will definitely continue with the
42 > main release
43 > coming in about 4 weeks.
44 >
45 > - This 3.12 prerelease has a lot of BTRFS pataches. Since I'm using
46 > BTRFS for most of
47 > my file systems, I like to have the most recent fixes.
50 Calm down boys.
53 Helmut, the problem is that you are trying to use ATI's proprietary code
54 with GPL code in the kernel.
55
56 The kernel devs do not want you to do that and that is their right.
57
58 What you should have done in your mail is indicate that you read the
59 error message and understand it, and why you want to continue
60 regradless. Then you should have mentioned what Google told you about
61 the problem, or something to show what you already did to help yourself.
62
63 As it stands you post is really just asking someone else to do your
64 homework for you and that you are too lazy to do it yourself. I'm sure
65 that's not want you are really doing, it just looks that way.
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com