From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:46:00
1 2018-07-26 15:01 GMT+03:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 6:44 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Before switching python_targets for the first time, you could use your
5 >> news system to inform Gentoo users that
6 >> 1) you are switching python_targets
7 >> 2) it may be "a bit premature",
8 >
9 > If anybody thought that it was a bit premature it wouldn't have been
10 > done at all.
11
12 It is exactly what is bad: nobody expects any troubles where
13 they definitely should be!
14
15 Anyway, it is a good idea to write a news on changing python_targets
16 and major version of gcc, even if no developper expects any troubles,
17 because we already know their predictive (dis)ability. :)
18
19 >> and so, those who really want to have a stable Gentoo system should
20 >> 1) do such and such changes to their config files and
21 >> 2) wait about 3 months untill all the dust will settle.
22 >
23 > Did this even impact the stable branch?
24
25 Yes.
26
27 > If you want stable Gentoo, you probably shouldn't have edited make.conf
28 > to set your keywords to ~arch.
29
30 I did not. Moreover, currently I have no single unstable package
31 installed on my system.
32
33 >> P.S. The said above together with the recent Gentoo signing key issue
34 >> and sometimes "corrupted" daily portage snapshots that I download by
35 >> emerge-webrsync make me think that even so called "stable" Gentoo
36 >> lacks quality control and cannot be considered as stable and suted for
37 >> those that really need a stable system.
38 >
39 > Well, most people stick with RHEL/CentOS or Debian Stable for that
40 > kind of experience, where changes only happen on releases with
41 > significant QA, and backporting of fixes. That simply isn't the kind
42 > of experience Gentoo aims to deliver.
43
44 It is sad to hear. Actually, I don't want to change the Linux distro.
45 A bit more "due diligence" from Gentoo devs will be enough. :)
46
47 May be, adding some additional "almost stable" level between
48 "stable" and "unstable" one to make "stable" stable indeed?
49
50 In any case, if I will leave Gentoo, it will be in favour of some BSD,
51 not a Linux disro.