From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] plainTeX instead of LaTeX
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:57:06
1 Arttu V. <arttuv69@×××××.com> [09-06-28 13:52]:
2 > On 6/28/09, meino.cramer@×××.de <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > Arttu V. <arttuv69@×××××.com> [09-06-28 13:27]:
4 > >> man tex
5 > >>
6 > >> "When called as virtex it will use the plain format."
7 > >>
8 > >> Not sure if this is what is called "plainTeX", I've only used LaTeX.
9 > >
10 > > Yes, it is...
11 > > tetex leaves the names of the executables untouched...
12 > >
13 > > Ok, here is what I got:
14 > >
15 > > /home/mccramer>virtex texfile.tex
16 > > This is TeXk, Version 3.1415926 (Web2C 7.5.7)
17 > > %&-line parsing enabled.
18 > >
19 > > kpathsea: Running mktexfmt plain.fmt
20 > > I can't find the format file `plain.fmt'!
21 >
22 > Could they be hidden in the USE=""extra" as Debian seems to have
23 > something similar sounding in such a package:
24 >
25 > http://packages.debian.org/fi/lenny/texlive-formats-extra
26 >
27 > "texsis -- Plain TeX macros for Physicists."
28 >
29 > Unfortunately I have USE="-extra" as they caused some trouble on
30 > Gentoo and I didn't really need them at that moment.
31 >
32 > --
33 > Arttu V.
34
35 LaTeX macros (as LaTeX is nothing else than macros) are based on
36 plaintex macros. So I am very...hrrrm...astonished, that it seems,
37 the installation wants to format my TeX file in LaTeX manner and
38 seems not to know anything about plain tex.
43 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
44 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
45 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
46 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.