From: akater <nuclearspace@×××××.com>
To: emacs@g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Arranging a specialized instance of emacs --daemon in a Gentoo package
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:28:40
1 I've been running gentoo-managed emacs-daemon because I trust Gentoo to
2 do the right thing but I never figured out why the procedure is the way
3 it is. Now I'm trying to package a “standalone” Emacs application and
4 the best way to do provide a mainstream entry point to it, is something
5 along the lines of
6
7 cat /usr/bin/my-application.sh
8
9 if [ emacs-my-application-running() ] ; then
10 emacsclient -s emacs-${USER}-my-application
11 else
12 emacs -Q --daemon=emacs-${USER}-my-application \
13 -L necessary-dirs --eval "(run-my-application)"
14 fi
15
16 but I wonder if I should run a daemon this way in Gentoo, or is there a
17 more preferrable way?
18
19 I don't want to use default daemon setup though because I want to run a
20 specific instance with named socket, to isolate the application.