From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 07:13:31
1 On 06/01/20 23:37, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Michael,
3 > I got Win 10 Pro installed via the M$ tool that creates USB install
4 > devices. It worked fine. Reading online it seems that if M$ sees the new
5 > disk as still the same 'hardware' then it's supposed to automatically
6 > validate and I'd be good to go. so far, after 2 hours it hasn't done
7 > that but I'll give it awhile and see what happens. As it only took an
8 > hour I might still try the disk copy path and see if that comes up
9 > validated as that would also transfer the couple of applications I have
10 > on the original hard drive.
11 >
12 > Anyway, thanks for the ideas.
13 >
14 A few more ideas from my experience -
15
16 Have you ever re-installed windows and actually used the licence key
17 that came with the laptop? No? Then try a clean install of Win10 using
18 the Win7 key.
19
20 Nearly all regular computers come with a bulk licence install, and the
21 key that is actually on the sticker is usually completely unused. If you
22 try to install Win10 with a Win7 key that has never been used, it will
23 activate. That's how I did a clean install on my laptop. (And it's
24 certainly true of Office, maybe of Win also - if you give it a key, it
25 will install the version that matches the key.)
26
27 Or just buy a key from Amazon. I think I paid about £15 and had
28 absolutely no trouble. I've bought a bunch of Win and Office keys off
29 Amazon at between £10 and £20 and they've all installed no problem
30 whatsoever. (Thanks to an EU legal ruling, MS cannot block the sale of
31 2nd-hand licence keys ...)
32
33 The last route, if you want to clean as much cruft as you can, is to do
34 a "factory reset" of the laptop, and then upgrade to Win10 over it.
35 Okay, it's not a completely clean install, but it gets you as close as
36 possible to a clean OEM install.
37
38 Cheers,
39 Wol