From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:44:57
1 On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:08:04 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
2
3 > I'd say the BIOS is not much of a security enforcer. Even with the
4 > BIOS password protected, one can plug out the hardrive, connect to
5 > another system and get access to all the data. It might need more time
6 > than a LiveCD approach, it would be as efficient. As Alan and Wael
7 > suggested, the approaches that can work in protecting your data are a
8 > physical key to a locked door or a root encrypted system.
9
10 If it is possible to have sufficient access to be able to remove the hard
11 drive, then an encrypted filesystem is essential. Any computer that isn't
12 nailed down behind a locked door should have this, unless it contains and
13 has access to absolutely nothing of value.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.