From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:59:23
1 On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 22:20 -0400, Ryan Sims wrote:
2 > On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 5/29/07, Tim Allinghan <deserted@×××××××××××.au> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Last thing before I hop off each night, emerge --sync followed by a -pv
6 > > > -uDN world, if I'm happy I fire it up and head to bed :)
7 > >
8 > > I'm sure that makes for particularly sweet dreams ;-)
9 > >
10 > > One thing I've wondered about... When you update X or nvidia drivers,
11 > > do you need to kill X before running emerge?
12 >
13 > I've never done it *before* the emerge, but I usually restart after
14 > the merge, like any other service. Only time I've ever had a problem
15 > with a program running while emerging is with a glibc upgrade a while
16 > back screwing with a running Firefox, restarting Firefox solved
17 > things.
18 >
19 > > I usually dread kernel updates because then I have to go through
20 > > kernel menuconfig all over again, and for me, that takes some time. I
21 > > guess one can reuse the old .config file, but I understand it's not
22 > > always a safe thing to do. Is it reasonably ok to wait for every
23 > > "major" 2.6.x release to update, or is it necessary to update on every
24 > > minor 2.6.x.y release also?
25 >
26 > I use 'gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > .config && make oldconfig'
27 > consistently, never had a problem. I always keep a working kernel in
28 > grub.conf in case of screwups, and I read the options very carefully
29 > before selecting. One caveat: going from 2.4 to 2.6 I reconfigured
30 > by hand from scratch. Whenever we get to 2.8 (or whatever the next
31 > major release is), I'll do that again.
32
33 If you wanted to shorten your command, I believe zcat does the exact
34 same thing as gunzip -c
35 -Michael Sullivan-
36 >
37 > --