From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 12:38:52
1 Andrew Udvare wrote:
4 > On Fri, May 29, 2020, 05:02 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Howdy,
8 >
9 > A few weeks ago, I ran up on a deal on a Blu-ray burner.  It's a
10 > LG and
11 > smartctrl -i shows this:
14 > === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
15 > Vendor:               HL-DT-ST
16 > Product:              BD-RE  WH16NS40
17 > Revision:             1.04
18 > Compliance:           SPC-3
19 > >> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
20 > A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
21 > more
22 > '-T permissive' options.
26 > Anyway, I have some HD videos I want to burn to a Blu-ray disc in HD.
27 > I've used Devede and Devedeng to create DVDs for a while.  I
28 > prefer the
29 > old Devede but the new ng version works well.  It doesn't however seem
30 > to create Blu-ray discs.  I googled and found how to play some of them
31 > at least that are commercially made.  I can't find however what
32 > software
33 > is used to create my own.
34 >
35 > Does anyone know what software to use to create HD video Blu-ray
36 > discs?
39 > You're referring to Blu-ray authoring like creating menus and making a
40 > video disc that works in a set-top player. There isn't any software
41 > for Linux I know of that does this, especially the menu part. The menu
42 > part can be in a simple format or it can be more advanced with BD-J.
43 >
44 > Studios use Scenarist
45 > BD https://www.scenarist.com/scenarist-bd-professional-blu-ray-disc-authoring/
46 >
47 > There's MultiAVCHD for free. Maybe it works with Wine?
50 I tried wine once, it was a disaster.  I can't recall what little
51 program I was trying to run but it never did. It seems that what I want
52 to do isn't doable on Linux and requires software that has to be
53 purchased at that.  That's disappointing that Linux can't do this.
54 Looks like I'll have to use my new Blu-ray burner for data backups.
55 Bummer.  I really wanted to make that gardening video HD.  No wonder
56 people use their game boxes and buy media centers that have hard drives
57 in them and then stream things from the internet.  Basically, other than
58 storing data files, Blu-ray isn't worth much except for commercially
59 made media.
60
61 Well, even if I knew this before, I'm still glad to have the thing.  It
62 certainly holds more files than a DVD.
63
64 If anyone knows of a tool to do this, I'm all ears.
65
66 Dale
67
69
70 P. S.  Time to go to the doctor and get my weekly shots.