From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 22:06:17
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:28:47 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > > More seriously, once you start working on (3), you'll realize
4 > > that just because the error msgs suck doesn't mean you can make them
5 > > better.
6 >
7 > If they "suck", they're not worth issuing, are they ?
8
9 Of course they are, obtuse error messages are better than none.
10
11 However, one of the problems with portage's output, and it threw a few
12 people with the OP's original question, is that portage makes no clear
13 distinction between error and informational messages. The, not
14 unreasonable, assumption is that when portage spews out several lines of
15 information about not being able to install a package because of version
16 requirements of other packages an error has occurred. In many cases, like
17 this one, that is simply not the case. Even some colour highlighting of
18 messages would go a fair way to improving the readability of portage's
19 output.
20
21 However, I am prepared to accept that changes in this department are not
22 trivial and if no one else is prepared to do something, I can either fix
23 it myself or accept it as it is. I've been using Gentoo for too long to
24 be entitled to a refund for what I paid for it.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Pedestrians come in two types: Quick or Dead.