From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [DONE] Re: [gentoo-user] OT: installing Gentoo on a 2007 Macbook
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:31:15
1 Well, I returned the laptop to the university. It turns out the person who
2 had it before me had the same problem of OS X not booting sometimes (with the
3 original disk, not the new SSD we installed when I got it). When I got the
4 laptop, I was in fact told that it "wouldn't start", but we understood that to
5 mean "wouldn't turn on". So when it *did* boot from the OS X live system we
6 supposed that it wasn't in fact completely broken.
7
8 Judging from the nature of the problems I would guess the firmware (EFI) is
9 "broken". Perhaps reflashing it would solve the problems, but the laptop is
10 old enough that the university will probably just buy a new one instead, what
11 with the battery being broken and all.
12
13 So thanks for the help, but the laptop in question is pretty much officially
14 finished.
15
16 Greetings
17 --
18 Marc Joliet
19 --
20 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
21 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup