From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glunarclock
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:22:50
1 John Dangler schreef:
2 >> -----Original Message-----
3 >> From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
4 >> Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:20 AM
5 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glunarclock
7 >>
8 >>> John Dangler schreef:
9 >>>
10 >>>Anyone emerged this and got it to load? I emerged it, but I can't find
11 >>>a way to have it start in gnome. (it's an applet)
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Yes, I've used it several times, under various versions of gnome-panel.
16 >>
17 >> The way to start it (or most any panel applet), is to right click on an
18 >> empty area of the panel (or the handle), and choose 'Add to panel'.
19 >>
20 >> Scroll down, and you should see 'Moon Clock'. If not, restart
21 >> gnome-panel (sometimes new applications or applets don't immediately
22 >> appear in the panel menus).
23 >>
24 >> Choose it, hit 'Add' and it will be added to your panel. Don't forget to
25 >> right-click the applet and correct the longitude and latitude for your
26 >> location, or the information shown will be incorrect (except for the
27 >> phase, of course).
28 >
29 > Holly~
30 > Way Cool!
31 > Are there more of these outside of the ones that are listed in gnome?
32
33 Yes, a couple that I know of:
34
35 gnubiff
36
37 mail-notification
38
39 These replicate the same function; they're mail-checkers. I prefer
40 gnubiff 1) because its cuter, and 2) it seems to work better than
41 mail-notification, which has the disturbing behaviour of disappearing
42 from the panel when there's no new mail, and reappearing when there is,
43 which the panel doesn't seem to like that much (nor do I).
44
45 The supposed benefit of mail-notification is that it says it can check
46 GMail, but so can gnubiff (if you've set up "send a copy of any new
47 gmail to my real address" according to the gmail instructions, and set
48 up an account for it in Thunderbird, you can also set gnubiff to check
49 that (secure) account as well). Nice for if I don't have Firefox open
50 for whatever reason (where I use the GMail Notifier extension).
51
52 There's also the
53
54 quick-lounge-applet
55
56 which gives you a little application launcher, similar to Windows'
57 QuickLaunch toolbar (used it once, it works fine but seemed pointless to
58 me);
59
60 oooqstart-gnome
61
62 an OpenOffice quickstarter for GNOME (there's one for KDE as well). This
63 basically preloads OO.o so that it opens faster
64
65 battstat
66
67 a battery status monitor (never used, since I don't have a laptop)
68
69 gxmms
70
71 A panel applet to control xmms
72
73 gnome-swallow
74
75 allows any app to be 'swallowed' into the panel (may use a lot of CPU;
76 certainly wmswallow, which I had to stop using, does)
79 drwright
80
81 an applet that schedules breaks to keep you from hurting yourself
82 sitting at the computer too long;
83
84 ... and that's just a partial list; go to packages.gentoo.org and type
85
86 applet
87
88 into the search field.
89
90 You'll have to skip through all of the 'k' stuff, and of course some
91 applets are meant for other WMs (there's a lot of ROX applets, for
92 example), but you should be able to find all the cool stuf relatively
93 easily.
94
95 HTH,
96 Holly