From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:45:32
1 Mr. Jarry wrote:
2 > Thanks for replies. As I had expected, they brought even more
3 > uncertainty then I had before... :-)
4 >
5 > ext3/4:
6 > I excluded them because as I understand, they do not support
7 > snapshots (only with lvm, which I do not use, and I've hreard
8 > snapshots in lvm are not very effective, or something like that).
9 > Next minus-point, I tried resizing of ext3/lvm once in the past
10 > and remember it was a real pain in a**...
11 >
12 > reiserfs/reiser4:
13 > Future of these fs seems to be somehow vague, at least to me.
14 > And I do not know if it can handle snaphosts and resizing.
15 >
16 > xfs& power-off:
17 > I have always thought, journaling is there to prevent data
18 > loss during unexpected power-off. And now I read I could
19 > loose data even with journaled fs...?
20 >
21 > jfs& power-off:
22 > the same. How is it possible, I could loose data with such
23 > a mature journaled filesystem during power-off?
24 >
25 > btrfs:
26 > never heard of it. Is it stable enough to be used? I just
27 > checkt man-page of "mount", and it does not show btrfs
28 > as supported filesystem...
29 >
30 > Jarry
34 This is usually the case, more confusion. Every file system has its
35 strengths and its weaknesses. Here is some info BTRFS:
36
37 https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Using_Btrfs_with_Multiple_Devices#Current_Status
38
39 This is what I suggest. Find out which file systems support the
40 snapshot, since that is one thing that you have to have and a lot of
41 file systems don't support it. Then research those to see which one
42 matches your needs the closest. Keep in mind, none of them will be
43 perfect. If you have large files, find out which one handles those
44 best. If you have a lot of small files, which one handles those best.
45 You will always have some trade offs tho. Example, XFS may be perfect
46 but you may have to buy a really good UPS to work with your rig. It may
47 be that EXT4 works best but still lacks something with regard to speed.
48 Just another trade off. Just start with the must haves and work your
49 way down the list until one file system is left. That will likely be
50 your file system.
51
52 I think the biggest thing, don't expect to find a file system that is
53 perfect. None of them are really.
54
55 Dale
56