From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 05:29:09
1 On Monday 09 Sep 2013 03:05:57 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 09/08/2013 09:33 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Someone found this and sent it to me.
4 > >
5 > > http://news.yahoo.com/internet-experts-want-security-revamp-nsa-revelatio
6 > > ns-020838711--sector.html
9 > > I'm not to concerned about the political aspect of this but do have to
10 > > wonder what this means when we use sites that are supposed to be secure
11 > > and use HTTPS. From reading that, it seems that even URLs with HTTPS
12 > > are not secure. Is it reasonable to expect that even connections
13 > > between say me and my bank are not really secure?
14 >
15 > The CA infrastructure was never secure. It exists to transfer money away
16 > from website owners and into the bank accounts of the CAs and browser
17 > makers. Security may be one of their goals, but it's certainly not the
18 > motivating one.
19 >
20 > To avoid a tirade here, I've already written about this:
21 >
22 > [1]
23 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/in_defense_of_self-signed_certificates
24 > .php
25 >
26 > [2]
27 > http://michael.orlitzky.com/articles/why_im_against_ca-signed_certificates.
28 > php
29 >
30 > Warning: they're highly ranty, and mostly preach to the choir in that I
31 > don't give a ton of background.
32 >
33 > The tl;dr is, use a 4096-bit self signed certificate combined with
34 > pinning. It's not perfect, but it's as good as it gets unless you plan
35 > to make a trip to each website's datacenter in person.
36
37 Are you saying that 2048 RSA keys are no good anymore?
40 Regards,
41 Mick