From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:12:55
1 090518 bn wrote:
2 > Philip Webb ha scritto:
3 >> With binary distros, you are stuck with whatever their makers give you.
4 > whatever distro you're using, Linux is Linux. You're not locked out.
5 > If my xorg.conf doesn't work (it happened with Ubuntu),
6 > I can edit it on Ubuntu just like on Gentoo.
7 > I can compile source packages on Ubuntu too, if needed.
8
9 But don't you immediately run into all the settings & assumptions
10 which the creators of that release of that distro have made for you ?
11 Can you have multiple versions of a library (as via Gentoo's slots) ?
12
13 You're also stuck with their kernel:
14 how many users of Mandriva compile their own kernels ?
15 how safe is it to use your own kernel with the rest of the distro ?
16
17 You also have to accept their version of big items like KDE :
18 if you use Slackware, you've got to use KDE 4 , like it or not (me: not);
19 with Gentoo, you can go on using KDE 3 & its pieces much longer.
20
21 If you use Ubuntu, you've got to accept their eccentric & questionable
22 attitude to passwords, esp that they don't have a separate root password.
23 I find that a piece of cheap popularisation contrary to UNIX principles.
24
25 So if you use Mandriva or Slackware -- good binary distros both -- ,
26 you accept what's been cooked for you & are one of the crowd of diners.
27 If you use Gentoo, you enjoy your own home cooking.
31 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca