From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 300GB HD
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:19:28
1 On May 23, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 22 May 2006 23:18, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
4 >> I'm planning on buying a 300GB HD from maxtor for my next primary HD.
5 >> It's a "Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard
6 >> Drive - OEM"
7 >
8 > well, Seagate has bought maxtor (is buying maxtor at the moment) -
9 > so they
10 > will be gone in a short while.
11 >
12 > And maxtor had some quality issues in the not -so-distant-past.
13 >
14 > I am not sure, if that are points for buying Maxtor....
15
16 All companies have problems. I have had lots of issues with WD disks
17 (SATA) about 2 years ago that I had to RMA. Also, there are problems
18 with some WD SATA compatibility. I just had to RMA a brand new out
19 of the box Seagate SATA last month. It was DOA. I had some Fujitsu
20 SCSI disks I had to RMA a few years ago. I can't remember any Maxtor
21 disks failing, though there is one disk I had to RMA a year or so ago
22 and I cannot remember the make -- it could have been Maxtor. I have
23 not bought Maxtor in the last 2 years though. Recently, based on a
24 bunch of reviews of Hitachi disks, and some negatives on Seagate
25 performance (in a particular realm) I have been buying Hitachi, and
26 up to recently Seagate, based on their longer warranty.
27
28 Remember, all makers have issues and I am sure you can find people to
29 sing the praises as well as damn any of the disk makers.
30
31 Chad
32
33 ---
34 Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
35 Your Web App and Email hosting provider
36 chad at shire.net
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list