From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:12:21
1 On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 14:13 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > Grüezi!
3 >
4 > On Jan 15, 2008 2:05 PM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > make menuconfig && make && make modules_install, maybe? This always works,
7 > > on any distribution. I still wonder why they all invent their own, special
8 > > way of compiling a kernel.
9 >
10 > Nice thing about genkernel (and other such tools in other distributions)
11 > is, that they also create an initrd.
12
13 what about mkinitrd?
14
15 > I suppose the initrd is the driving factor for developing genkernel-like
16 > tools.
17
18 really?
22 Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself -- and then a couple
23 of more feet, just to be sure.
24 -- Eric Allman
25
26 ... We make rope.
27 -- Rob Gingell on Sun Microsystem's new virtual memory.
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list