From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] some of the stuff in /usr that's become a problem
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:21:10
1 On 09/29/2013 09:03 PM, Greg Woodbury wrote:
2 > One of the most obvious things that broke booting with a seperate /usr
3 > is not GNOMEs fault, but GRUB 2's fault.
4 >
5 > the move of /bin to /usr/bin (for things like cp,mv,ln,ls) came after
6 > the breakage of /usr, but is symptomatic of some distros cavalier
7 > attitudes to the problem.
8 >
9 > /usr/lib/udev.....
10 > /usr/lib/systemd.....
11 >
12 > were both placed in /usr despite objections from a number of folks.
13 >
14 > So claims that udev and systemd are not responsible are not true.
15 >
16 > /usr/lib/e2initrd-helper was placed in /usr despite objections.
17 > /usr/lib/libdevmapper* was moved despite objections...
18 > /usr/lib/liblvm2* helpers were placed in /usr despite objections...
19 >
20 > There were deliberate placements of "new" or updated libraries in /usr
21 > that were known ahead of time that would break the use of a separate
22 > /usr filesystem.
23 >
24 > It was pointed out quite plainly at the time, and the placements were
25 > made anyway, dismissing the concerns are "mere historical artifacts" or
26 > "clinging to ancient and outmoded traditions."
27 >
28 > The *same things* are still being cited (about being outmoded) in
29 > dismissing concers about forcing useres to adopt technologies they do
30 > not want to use.
31 >
32 I agree with you but I think the distinction made on udev and systemd is
33 that their *upstreams* didn't suggest they go in /usr. I don't know for
34 sure since I don't follow systemd and frankly detest it, but if they
35 said systemd and udev belong in /bin or somesuch, then they can't be
36 held responsible. The responsibility for that decision falls on the
37 maintainers, but it's compounded by the dependencies of systemd/udev.
38 They depend on dbus, which resides in /usr. Was that an upstream
39 decision or a distro decision? If we follow this dependency tree of /usr
40 moves, which package was the first to migrate to /usr and begin this
41 problem? The move to /usr was a social one that started years ago, not a
42 technical decision made this year. The issue right now is damage control
43 and, for some, maybe taking a good look at the FHS and deciding what
44 really makes sense.