From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Manipulating a mobile external harddisk
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 07:54:31
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Dienstag, 2. Februar 2016, 07:29:16 CET schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
4 > [...]
5 > Is it advisable to try to longen the active time before the disk
6 > goes idle to prolong the lifetime ?
7
8 honestly I don't know what is worse - running the HDD permanently or parking
9 the heads too often. I'm not a server (hardware) guy, but I remeber reading
10 "consumer vs. server HDDs" nearly everytime HDDs are discussed. It might be
11 possible that this is
12 a) only marketing stuff
13 b) the server HDDs are worse and just shouldn't get parked that often (most
14 unlikely)
15 c) the server HDDs have simply a longer 24/7 up lifespan due to let's say
16 better heat dissipation or something like that.
17 or propably a combination of these plus other aspects I didn't know.
18
19 > Is it possible to do this with hdparm?
20
21 Sure. Take a look at
22 - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hdparm "Set the standby (spin-down after
23 idling) timeout."
24 - "man 8 hdparm"
25
26 Obviously you search for "-S #something" as parameter ;-)
27
28 > It is a sane idea? ;)
29 As said above..don't really know, sorry.
30
31 > Best regards,
32 > Meino
33