From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slot conflict when updating portage
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 12:07:40
1 On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:55 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, 30 May 2019 00:52:31 +0200, n952162@×××.de wrote:
4 >
5 > > !!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
6 > > !!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
7 > > !!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
8 > >
9 > > default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
10 > >
11 > > You may use the following command to upgrade:
12 > >
13 > > eselect profile set default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
16 > > * IMPORTANT: 6 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
17 > > * Use eselect news read to view new items.
20 > > * IMPORTANT: 26 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
21 > > * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
22 > > * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
23 >
24 > You should deal with these issues first. Ignoring news items, failing to
25 > update config files and running a deprecated profile are all good ways of
26 > making problems for yourself.
27
28 Agree in general, though I'd hold off on the profile upgrade until
29 everything is working unless there is no choice.
30
31 You should never just leave config files alone of course, and reading
32 news is just reading.
33
34 Unless a news item says otherwise, you're best off doing profile
35 changes on a completely clean and up-to-date system. If you have some
36 ancient box that you haven't touched in five years there might need to
37 be some modifications to that, but unless you're an expert you should
38 simply avoid running ancient out-of-date Gentoo boxes because we
39 simply do not guarantee a clean upgrade path for these. That doesn't
40 mean it can't be done, but it isn't necessarily point-and-click.
41
42 I wouldn't be surprised if these issues stem from keywording issues,
43 which is probably why all those files in /etc/portage need updating.
44 They're probably a mess with redundant autounmask entries. There
45 might be some keyword mixing issues - you can get that to work but of
46 course that isn't a well-supported config, especially if you're doing
47 it with something like portage.
50 Rich