From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: CRTs and EDID (was: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody want to beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:21:52
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 09:53:47AM -0500, Michael Mol wrote
2
3 > Just an FYI, EDID blocks have been part of CRT tech since the mid to
4 > late 90s; it's the basis of "plug & play" monitors.
5 >
6 > IIRC, the EDID block is transported via DDC, which is essentially I2C
7 > implemented on top of your VGA cable. I've got three EDID-supporting,
8 > 19" 1600x1200 CRTs staring me in the face right now.
9 >
10 > https://plus.google.com/108080062547354628132/posts/ZLLw66eL4We
11
12 Maybe X has learned how to read them without udev's help. The xorg
13 logfile shows the EDID block, max/min horizontal/vertical scan rates,
14 supported modes, etc.
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>