From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:37:21
1 On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >> The machine _mostly_ crashed while running badblocks. I say mostly
7 > >> because the mouse is still alive but I can no longer ssh in and cannot
8 > >> open a terminal on my wife's desktop or get to the console.
9 > >
10 > > because it is not crashed but waiting for the ide timeouts.
11 >
12 > So if I let it continue running is it going to come back in the next
13 > hour or two?
14
15 yes
16 > I am assuming the IDE timeouts are because the drive is
17 > having trouble, correct? That's the theory here?
18
19 yes
20
21 > If so then unless the software can mark them bad and somehow create good
22 files out of bad
23 > then I'm still left with a machine that is going to need serious work
24 > done before it's a happy box again, correct?
25
26 and with 'serious work' you mean 'replace the harddisk' ...
29 > On the other hand, because I have reasonably good user backups
30 > (although no real system backups) right now if I bite the bullet and
31 > build the machine then when my wife gets it back it's hopefully going
32 > to be more reliable, wouldn't it?
33
34 yes
37 > I'm thinking that maybe I just copy a little stuff off the box - /etc
38 > and the like - and then boot the machine with the Gentoo install CD or
39 > System Resuce CD and see what the drive is doing?
40
41 you could do that.
44 > That doesn't cost me anything to look around, but if SMART won't turn
45 > on and badblocks is suggesting the drive is having trouble maybe
46 > running something like badblocks and actually __marking__ blocks as
47 > bad and then reloading Gentoo would work in the long run? (A lot of
48 > work though.)
49
50 you would need to save the badblocks to a file, than feed that file to mkfs. And
51 you are not even save - because when a drive starts to have bad blocks the
52 chance that more are popping up some is pretty high. So you might be lucky and
53 the drive is able to run for a long while (even maybe mapping out bad blocks
54 while testing them - so always run badblocks twice), but you have at least a
55 as a good chance that the whole thing starts over in a couple of weeks.
58 > I'm really not interested in buying new drive because the machine is
59 > ATA100/133 and if it's not the drive then the money is wasted for a
60 > new machine. The cheapest at NewEgg is about $40. Why spend the buck
61 > for an old Intel Centrino machine?
62
63 you could take the drive with you when you buy a new machine. Moving harddisks
64 is not that hard. Or put it in an usb enclosure when you don't need it
65 anymore. ide-usb enclosures are cheap.