From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is sound broken?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:52:31
1 On Sunday 25 Aug 2013 16:22:31 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > Today after I had my system down for its weekly backup, on restarting KDE
5 > (phonon) said some internal devices had been removed, in particular the
6 > default device. And indeed I had no sound. This was with kernel 3.10.7
7 > driving the on-board Intel HDA audio. The kernel module snd_hda_intel had
8 > been loaded.
9
10 I had the same on two systems. Strangely it did not recognise my hw:0,0 and
11 hw:1,3 rather than the default device. I accepted what it suggested (to
12 remove the two hw devices) and carried on. When I rebooted later on sound
13 worked fine for playback and capture.
16 > On rebooting the previous kernel, 3.8.13, sound worked OK but KDE said it
17 > had noticed some other devices missing - presumably some that had been
18 > found by kernel 3.10.7.
19 >
20 > I've made the kernel configs the same as regards sound, but still I get
21 > sound from 3.8.13 but not from 3.10.7. The kernel change-log hasn't helped
22 > either.
23 >
24 > Anyone have a clue to offer?
25
26 Try accepting what it suggests, then use alsactl to initialise your cards and
27 see what you get. You can also check with alsamixer that they are not muted.
30 Regards,
31 Mick