From: "u.schutz@×××××××.ch" <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Checking sanity of system...
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:03:58
1 >Von: norman@×××××××××.org
2 >Datum: 04.04.2010 11:37
3 >An: <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
4 >Betreff: Re: [gentoo-user]
5 Checking sanity of system...
6 >
7 >Am 04.04.2010 07:18, schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
8 >> Hi,
9 >>
10 >> this is no security
11 issue in sense of attacks...it is related
12 >> to the consistency of the system.
13 >>
14 >> Simple question (and may be
15 complicate to answer... ;) )
16 >>
17 >> How can I check, that my Gentoo system is uptodate, consistent
18 >> and sane?
21 Best regards,
22 >> mcc
26 >Hi,
27 >
28 >Every Update:
29 >emerge --sync && emerge -uDN world
30 >--> Read the
31 Packagemessages for Instructions.
32 >etc-update # Merge new Configfiles
33 >revdep-rebuild # Identify broken libraries
36 >From time to time:
37 >emerge --deplcean (-p) && revdep-rebuild # Delete old packages and
38 >sort out the resulting
39 broken packages
40 >eclean distfiles # Delete the old source-packages in your distfile repo.
41 >
42 >Regards,
43 >Norman
49 and aditionally from time to time:
50
51 eix -u
52 (packages which have at least one slotted version installed which is not
53 the best version within that slot)
54
55 and
56
57 eix-test-obsolete -d
58 (display missing packages or packages with obsolete
59 entries in /etc/portage/package.* )
60
61 Check for viruses, lookout for SMART data, and filesystem inconsistencies, check
62 temperatures, check log files, listen to fans... there are many levels where a system could fail.
63
64 Urs