From: Floyd Anderson <f.a@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to set size to windows in Openbox in local config WAS: Something eats my memory
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 04:02:58
1 On Di, 11 Apr 23:12:12 +0200
2 Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
3 >On 170411-20:37+0200, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
4 >...
5 >
6 >Part of this quest is solved, pls. see:
7 >
8 >gkrellm [Was: Something eats my memory - please help]
9 >https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=149194283531062&w=2
10 >( marc.info was faster this time than gossamerthreads.com (now
11 >lists.gt.net )
12 To be honest, I read not the whole and little bit confusing thread. So I
13 have not realised there is a multi-part issue to solve. I saw only one
14 precise question in the quotation of wabe’s response out of the corner
15 of my eyes.
16
17 >If -g ... is the switch to get the geometry, i.e. the position of the
18 >window, be it gkrellm or urxvt, when set into
19 >~/.config/openbox/autostart (or started from the command line), then...
20 Geometry (implemented as structure or bitmask) is not restricted to hold
21 only the position. It can also be used to specify the size and other
22 window attributes.
23
24 >Then what is the switch to get the windows of be of a certain size. I
25 >didn't find that in "man urxvt"... Could that be in Xorg manual or where
26 >is that?
27 Do not guess; RTFM or at least, search it! ;-)
28
29 I always have this in my mind. And when you cannot find what you are
30 looking for, read the ‘SEE ALSO’ man page section to get ideas for the
31 next step. But you are right, man page urxvt(1) is not really verbose
32 about the -geometry (or -g) option but this does not have to be the end
33 of the journey. As `qlist rxvt-unicode` shows, urxvt comes with several
34 resources. One of them is a man page of category seven (Miscellaneous).
35
36 Looking at it `man 7 urxvt` and searching for ‘geom’ and “Eureka!”, the
37 third and last match:
38 IRC*geometry: 87x12+535+542
39 looks good. Let’s try it with your requirements...
40
41 >So, e.g. if I want to start a window of size 200x50 or 1000x500, how to
42 >I do that?
43 ...and (if installed) examine the attributes with `xwininfo` or `xprop`
44 or simply by <Alt+Space> + resize and looking at the centred size tip.
45 urxvt -bl -geometry 200x50+0+0;
46 urxvt -bl -geometry 1000x500+0+0;
47
48 This should be answer your second part — completely resolved with
49 offline resources. But I highly recommend not to stop the journey here
50 because of what if urxvt(7) has never been written?
51
52 Do you know the commands ‘whatis’, ‘apropos’ (symbolic link to ‘whatis’)
53 or their equivalent ‘man -k’?
54
55 Try it out: `man -k geometry` or `apropos geometry`. You see several
56 category three (Library calls) references. This kind of information may
57 be hard to understand sometimes but if you have time you only can win.
58
59 For instance XWMGeometry(3), you already know X -> Xorg and WM -> window
60 manager (BTW: MWM -> Motif Window Manager as Jonathan earlier pointed
61 out) and Geometry is what you are looking for.
62
63 Sounds that not interesting to have a look at it? If you think so, you
64 will see at the description section what the argument to the -geometry
65 parameter of urxvt probably expected. If you are still hungry, go online
66 and search for other examples and meanings like at [1] or find [2] which
67 seems to have some tips about ‘devilspie’, ‘GKrellM’ and others.
68
69 [1] <http://imagemagick.org/script/command-line-processing.php#geometry>
70 [2] <https://sites.google.com/site/tstyblo//wmctrl/>
71
72 P.S. I love short precise questions and qualified answers as well and
73 usually hate walls of text — but this was a need for me. Hope that helps
74 to help yourself.
77 Regards,
78 floyd